- What are the key elements that need to be addressed in your situation?
- What are your goals? Interests? Concerns?
- What process is most consistent with your interests and goals?
- Getting started with the process and engaging professionals (attorneys, mental health, financial, other?)
- Signing any applicable process agreements
- Gathering relevant information â€“ review case disclosure
- Pressing issues
- If parties are living under roof, parameters to reduce stress interim
- Whether interim, partial, or full written settlement agreement is needed and/or desired before parties separate?
- Interim financial issues â€“
Payment for process
Power of Attorney
- What issues have parties tentatively agreed upon, if any?
- What remains?
- What are priorities in terms of importance of remaining issues?
- Stages for working through any issue:
- Penciling in tentative agreements as they occur
- Sketch of full settlement
- Drafting settlement
- Further negotiations to fine tune agreement
- Finalizing settlement document
- Court papers (if applicable) â€“ usually full settlement is incorporated when divorced